Black hat SEO refers to techniques and strategies used to get higher search rankings, and breaking search engine rules. Black hat SEO focuses on only search engines and not so much a human audience. Black hat SEO is typically used by those who are looking for a quick return on their site, rather than a long-term investment on their site. Some techniques used in black hat SEO include: keyword stuffing, link farming, hidden texts and links, and blog content spamming. Consequences of black hat SEO can possibly result in your site being banned from a search engine and de-indexed as a penalization for using unethical techniques.
53. Keep your content updated, or prepare to see it losing its good rankings. Update the information whenever something changes, fix the errors and get rid of broken links. If your site is built using WordPress, plug-ins like Broken Link Checker can help you save a lot of time.
119. Your amazing content won’t be able to attract visitors on its own, so be sure to have a clearly defined content promotion strategy. Then, each time you publish a fresh blog post, share it on the top social media sites (as shown above) but also send it to the people on your email list, promote it at the top industry related forums, find related questions on Quora and answer them linking back to your new article, and so on.
102. Google Analytics is a free website traffic monitoring tool; install it on your website, and then boost the success of the keywords that are already sending visitors to your website by optimizing the existing pages, creating new pages, trying to attract more links to those particular landing pages, etc. If you dislike the idea of having Google monitor your website, StatCounter is a good alternative.
26. The free (but much less accurate) version of the method above would be to target keywords that have a 90+ AdWords competition score. Some of these keywords may not be very profitable for you because of your website’s particular design, call to action, and so on.
138. Use a “related posts” widget or plugin. This will encourage people to read more of your website pages, boosting dwell time and reducing the bounce rate. Jetpack is installed by default with WordPress, and it includes a related posts feature as well. Other popular plugins are YARPP and Contextual Related Posts.
That’s right—keyword research is still important in 2017. With Google providing less KW data all the time, two of the largest SEO tool providers, Moz and Ahrefs, have developed and improved KW tools hoping to fill the void. However, the way one goes about performing and using the results from KW research in 2017 has changed, thanks to RankBrain.
Black hat SEO, on the other hand, uses sketchy, behind-the-scenes tactics that are primarily keyword driven and search engine centric. Black hat practices can also lend to fluctuative keyword rankings and greater risks of penalization.
Testimonials “Mequoda has helped us by giving us focus, a plan, and the benefit not only of their expertise, but also of the other clients they’ve had. So when they’re telling you to do something, it’s not just in theory but in practice.” – Julia Elliott, Content Director/Editor In Chief, Metro Parent Publishing “Mequoda’s knowledge of the fundamental practices and technologies at the core of the media business is unsurpassed by any other group of consultants I know. If you’re in the media industry, Mequoda would be a valuable ally.” – Bryan Welch, CEO, B The Change Media “We’ve used Mequoda’s strategies and techniques to sell thousands of books, videos, and subscriptions.” – Charlie Spahr, Executive Director, The American Ceramic Society “The team I worked with at Interweave successfully transitioned a leading print enthusiast media business into the digital age. The folks at Mequoda were an important part of this team and the company’s most valued strategic advisor. We could not have done it without them.” – Clay Hall, Former CEO, Interweave “We’ve used these principles, analytics and advice to more than double our revenues over the past three years.” – Stuart Hochwert, Founder and CEO, Prime Publishing “We’ve used these techniques to boost sales of our higher-priced products, and dramatically increase our multiplatform subscription revenues.” – Susan Laden, Publisher, Biblical Archaeology Society “We’ve used the strategies taught here to develop entirely new streams of revenue.” – Robert Michel, Founder, The Dark Intelligence Group “With more than 3.2 million monthly unique visitors, Mother Earth News has increased its revenues 39X over the past 10 years, using these strategies.” – Bill Uhler, Publisher, Ogden Publications “We use Mequoda’s strategies to sell out our executive education programs.” – Gail Odeneal, Director of Marketing, Program on Negotiation Harvard Law School “We’ve used these sponsorship strategies to build the world’s largest Spanish-language health care website.” – Carl Kravetz, Publisher & Exective Director, Vida y Salud “If you want to make more money online — listen to Mequoda.” – Chuck McCullagh, Former Senior Vice President, Magazine Publishers of America
4. Any website page shouldn’t be more than 2 or 3 clicks away from the home page; otherwise, the link juice will not flow properly, and some pages could end up in Google’s supplemental index/become useless. Make sure to keep website navigation simple and clear for both users and search engines.
Use, by you or one client, in a single end product which end users are not charged for. The total price includes the item price and a buyer fee.
19. Reduce the size of your website pages to a minimum. This means optimizing the images, videos, etc and cutting down the size of the code. Website loading speed is now an important ranking factor, and Google’s PageSpeed Insights tool provides precious insight indeed.
White hat SEO aims to provide search engines with relevant information about the content on the site and present it clearly and honestly. Google, the world’s most popular search engine, uses an ever-evolving algorithm that aims to evaluate a Web page much like a human reader would. This means that Google looks for signs of unique (not copied from another site) content that is relevant to the given search term. Google uses several other measures and factors to determine whether a given site is a reputable and trusted source. Although black hat SEO techniques can fool search engines and increase search engine page rank for the sites that use them, search engines frown on the use of these techniques. Sites that are found to be using black hat SEO may have their page ranks downgraded; their sites may even be removed from search results on a given search engine.
Great stuff! I remember the old days and how we used to do things. But, you’re right, it’s a new era and these techniques are a must! I am using all of these with my creation of niche websites and the work, though time consuming at times, surely pays off. Nice work!
I’m definitely in agreement with Samuel on this one. When a potential client asks me whether I do White hat, Grey hat, or Black hat SEO, I respond with “No Hat SEO”. Then of course, I go on to explain that I do what gets long-term results for my clients – by persuading trusted authority sites to link to the client website.
So, how do you get sites to link to your page? That’s a tricky task, but make sure your page is a destination people want to link to, and you’re halfway there. Another way is to offer link exchanges with other sites that cover material related to your content. You don’t want to trade links with just anyone because many search engines look to see how relevant the links to and from your page are to the information within your page. Too many irrelevant links and the search engine will think you’re trying to cheat the system.
Hi Ryan, thank you for this informative post. You mentioned in your article that you do not enter the website field of the blog comments. Just a question, if you entered your website url, will it be a do follow link?
By 2004, search engines had incorporated a wide range of undisclosed factors in their ranking algorithms to reduce the impact of link manipulation. In June 2007, The New York Times’ Saul Hansell stated Google ranks sites using more than 200 different signals. The leading search engines, Google, Bing, and Yahoo, do not disclose the algorithms they use to rank pages. Some SEO practitioners have studied different approaches to search engine optimization, and have shared their personal opinions. Patents related to search engines can provide information to better understand search engines.
Some search engines have also reached out to the SEO industry, and are frequent sponsors and guests at SEO conferences, chats, and seminars. Major search engines provide information and guidelines to help with site optimization. Google has a Sitemaps program to help webmasters learn if Google is having any problems indexing their website and also provides data on Google traffic to the website. Bing Webmaster Tools provides a way for webmasters to submit a sitemap and web feeds, allows users to determine the crawl rate, and track the web pages index status.
74. Keep an eye on your click-through rate. If the site ranks OK for a particular keyword, but very few people click through to your page, there must be something wrong with the page title and/or its description.
Now let’s be honest here: a true white hat SEO is as rare as snow in Vegas. Why? Because almost no SEO professionals want to wait for a natural link profile to build (and oddly enough, when I have seen these types of link profiles, they look almost fake).
2. Create dedicated pages for each targeted keyword, but don’t go overboard with it. If you target the “small business seo” keyword, for example, you should create a
The other top ranking factors heading into 2017 are user intentions, such as click-through rates, bounce rates and time on site (TOS). Good content will naturally lead to these user factors.
Outdated content makes your site look stale from both an algorithm and user perspective. You can delete or use a 301 redirect (this sends users to the new URL, which is time-consuming) for old content, but your best option is to refurbish it. Refurbishing old content keeps the page fresh and improves its quality because you’re giving it a new feel with a modern perspective.
There are apparently various SEO Friendly Website Templates available on the web, however today we have bore down a bit of the top Best SEO Friendly Website Templates that’ll help you to finish incredible SEO rankings.These best SEO Friendly Templates are clearly SEO masterminded and will help you with making your site page more searchable in all web look engines.The likelihood of amplifying the reputation of your site page, online journals, and unmistakable pages is so high. With the best SEO Friendly Templates, you are guaranteed that your business will be particularly outstanding for the comprehensive group far and wide.
Kendal, if a page is relevant to your sites, so are the outbound links. So I’d just keep plugging away at UK career info pages.
72. Use high quality images for your articles. Yes, they may cost money, but they look much better than the free ones – that’s why you pay for them! In addition to this, few people are using them, so you may also get some website traffic from Google Images and other image search engines.
3. If you plan to launch a new site, the chapters of an Amazon bestseller, industry-related book can be used for your website’s categories. It’s a quick and effective way of planning your website structure and it works fine in any niche, provided that you pick the proper book.
131. Optimize your sidebar. I know, it’s the ideal place for those nice-looking widgets and the URLs of your friends’ fantastic blogs, but it can also slow down your site and make people leave earlier than intended, by following one of the outbound links.